Based on my grading scale, I give our October budget a big, fat F, at 65%.
Fixed Expenses – Rent, pet rent, washer/dryer rental, and Netflix are the same every month.
Expected Expenses (Electric Bill, Cell Phones, Renter’s Insurance) – As expected.
Gas – I upped our budget from $100 to $120. We spent $119.
Car Stuff – $110 for maintenance. Wasn’t expecting it to be that much.
Prescriptions – $8 for one prescription, budgeted $30.
Medical Bills/Co-Payments – I didn’t have a lot of bills this month but I expect to exceed the $200 budget next month. Hubby had a $58 eye exam at the NEX (probably could have gotten it for free if he’d gone to the medical branch on base).
Groceries – Way over budget this month. We spent $514!
Dining Out – Budgeted $25, spent $124!! Hubby’s gotten into the habit of walking to the nearby McDonald’s after work.
Energy Drinks – $87, below budget. Hubby’s been drinking more Powerade and juice, which goes into the grocery category.
Slush Funds, Electronics and Games – All under budget!
Pet Expenses – On budget.
Splurges & Miscellaneous Expenses – I budgeted $25 for miscellaneous expenses, spent $375! We bought a new iron, a bunch of Halloween candy and I have no idea where the rest of it went. $140 was a cash withdrawal that have absolutely no recollection of.
I did a horrible job keeping up with our expenses this month. I usually save receipts so I know exactly what was purchased but I’ve just been tossing them out lately. Groceries, dining out, and miscellaneous expenses/splurges were pretty bad this month.
Did you over-spend at all in October? How did you do overall on your budgeting?
OCTOBER GOALS RECAP
Much like our budget grade, I failed majorly on sticking with my goals!
- Meal plan every week! FAIL! This is probably why we spent so much on groceries!
- Consume at least one serving of fruit each day. Juicing and smoothies count! MAJOR FAIL! I didn’t even try.
- Don’t waste any fresh produce! FAIL! I bought some spinach and didn’t even touch it. Bad Kasey!
- Prepare snack-sized portions and (freezer) meals ahead of time. FAIL! Did not even attempt!
- Track my calories. FAIL!
- Limit myself to one piece of dark chocolate a day. FAIL! I did go a couple days without any chocolate but I couldn’t hold myself back the other days!
- Limit myself to less than 1/2 cup of ice cream a day. PASS!
- Start taking vitamins/supplements DAILY! FAIL!
- Take a 30 minute walk each day (wear sunblock!) FAIL!
- Meditate for 2 minutes a day. FAIL!
- Play a brain game at least once a day. (Supposed to help with a bad memory) FAIL!
- Get a job or start making income somehow! PASS and PASS! I have two jobs and an interview later today for a third! I also made $20 sewing a patch onto a dress blues uniform! w00t!
I’m going to try to slim my goals for this month in hopes of being able to stick with them.
- Meal plan!
- Don’t waste fresh produce!
- Prepare snack-sized portions and (freezer) meals ahead of time.
- Meditate for 2 minutes each day.
- Play a brain game at least once a day.
What are some of your goals for November?