I found an apartment complex that I absolutely love!
- It’s 2-3 miles closer to base than the apartment complex we had recommendations for. (Big whoop, but it’s still a pro)
- Water is included with rent
- Has the cheapest pet deposit/fees around here ($250 non-refundable, $30 pet rent for two cats). Most places want $400 nonrefundable plus $20-30 pet rent per pet!
- Spacious, with a walk-in closet (no more using the hangy things!)
- Has a doorbell (I’m hard of hearing and often miss when people knock lightly at the door)
- Has an alarm system
- Curbside trash pickup twice a week – the apartment complex picks it up and takes it to the dumpster
- Updated appliances at least in the available unit I saw (recommended apartment had old appliances)
- 24 hour fitness center
- 24 hour sauna ❤
- 24 hour jacuzzi
- Swimming pool, tennis courts, putting green!
- After hours controlled community access
- Very nice neighborhood
- Lots of positive reviews online
- Has a dishwasher
- 2 reserved parking spots
- Flexible lease periods
- We have to rent a washer/dryer for $50 a month (no community laundry facility, would have to go to laundromat)
- The price – Depending on which unit we get, before the $50 washer/dryer and pet rent, rent is $955 or $1005
- Like all the other apartments, I have to lie about having 3 cats
I’m posting this (for my own personal use) to justify why it’s ok to spend more on a nice apartment.
We get $1428 basic allowance for housing in this area. Yes, it’d be nice to have extra money to put towards other things but we’d still be able to afford this apartment.
We’ve done cheap. $725 for a dump doesn’t work. $800-$900 is affordable but we wind up in shady areas.
My sanity needs a good, clean, place in a safe neighborhood.
A messy environment stifles productivity. Majorly for me. Mess causes stress. I need to get rid of both those things!
My husband made it clear that he doesn’t care where we live. He said he could live in a hole as long as he had internet. So it’s pretty much up to me where we go. I love this apartment complex. It is a place that I feel like I could call home.
As I’m writing this, the guy who lived here before me just came by to pick up some of his mail that still gets delivered here. He told me he’s moving into the apartment above us in May. Considering he left A LOT of his stuff and gave us an expensive security camera system that we planned on taking with us, it is just extremely weird. Hopefully we’ll be out before May!
To further justify wanting a more expensive apartment…
Estimated monthly rental expenses at this apartment that I love: $1170
- $955 rent
- $50 washer/dryer rental (water included in rent)
- $30 pet rent
- $100 electric (estimated)
- $35 for internet
Estimated monthly rental expenses at apartment with recommendations: $1096
- $841 rent
- $40 pet rent
- $30 to wash/dry clothes (estimated)
- $50 water bill (estimated)
- $100 electric bill (estimated)
- $35 for internet
That’s a difference of only $74 a month. It’s not that much more expensive. I can live with that.